Friday, September 22, 2006

911? I have a knitting emergency!

Remember this?


I know it has been awhile since I have talked about it. It was a mess, and I really thought it was beyond repair.
But Ben thought it was worth a try to get a second opinion. So I called the knit doctor, a.k.a. Lester, and she was able to squeeze me in for an appointment the same day.
You should have seen her face when she saw the blanket. It was almost enough for me to say "Yeah, that's what I thought too, thanks anyway." But she laid it out on the table and went to work.






It was NOT EASY! I did not do anything but sit there and stare, and have a few panic attacks. There were times Lester seemed at a loss, but she would not give up.
It really seemed hopeless, there were no stitches to pick up, not a whole lot of yarn to use, and the pattern was difficult to duplicate. But all of a sudden, it started to look ok....In fact it looked pretty darn good!
Here's me pointing a finger at where the boo-boo is.



It is still noticeable, but when you look at the whole blanket it is very hard to tell unless you are looking for it.




Needless to say, I was ecstatic!

The baby shower was the next day and thanks to Dr. Lester, this is what I was able to gift to the mommy-to-be.




My gifts were the hit of the party. Lauren was ecstatic, and everybody ooed and awed. Frankly, I was a little embarrassed. Especially when people showed up later and asked to see my gifts. After the third time, Lauren pulled them out and "displayed" them for all to see.

The best part? About a week ago I got a thank you note from Lauren. She said that my making her these baby gifts was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for her, and how thankful she was to have a friend like me.

That made all of it worth it. And when I see her little man all wrapped up in hand-knitted warmth, that will be icing on the cake.

By the way, I paid my Dr. well. I bought Lester a pair of lantern moon ebony needles and some silk/alpaca lace weight (the last was VERY HARD to give away) after a recommendation from a mutual friend.

Thank you Lester! You are an amazing woman and I am so glad to know you and call you a friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh! How in the world did that happen?

Melanie said...

I washed it.
And I was naieve enough to think that if you knit with 2 strands together in the middle of the row, the yarn would stay put.
I learned my lesson. =)