Friday, October 13, 2006

Socks, Stash, Distractions, and Magic!

Happy Friday the 13th!

My first sock of my first pair of toe up socks is complete. And to avoid SSS (second sock syndrome) I made myself cast on for the new sock and finished the toe.

(I know, I know lighting sucks as usual, someday I will get the urge to photograph during the day time).

I used Trekking XXL on size zero (2mm) dpn's Crystal Palace bamboos. I have to say this was so simple compared to the top down that I did..No weird gusset, no kitchener stitch..It was easy.

I followed Wendy's toe up generic sock pattern. Her instructions call for a provisional cast on, short row toe, and short row heel. That's as hard as it gets. I like this pattern because it's pretty straight forward and allows for endless possibilities.

My only problem is I cant get the cast off right..My first try was too big: (Grumperina's method)

(Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if it was a purl), * repeat between *. )
And my second try was too small (k2tog tbl, slip stitch back to L needle, rinse repeat). Hopefully my third try will be just right. I'm not sure what method to try next though.

It is all the afore mentioned Wendy's fault that I acquired this! This is Claudia's Handpainted Yarns in the Oops! colorway. Isn't that hilarious? I have often pondered why she decided to call it that. Was it a dye mess up? (If so it is a beautiful mistake) or was she just feeling silly that day?

Anyway, I have seen Wendy make numerous amounts of socks, and she raves about Claudia's Handpainted, and from the awesome results she gets with her socks using this stuff, I had to give it a whirl.

My next sock excursion is going to be ambitious. I am going to do 2 socks at one time using the Magic Loop method AND I am going to do the Elfine Leaf Lace Socks. Wish me luck! =)

Yes, I am going to start these even though I have not finished the first one's yet... What like you've never done it?

I think I am showing a tremendous amount of restraint considering all the cool stuff sitting in my stash I am yearning to try.

Here's a pic for ya:

In that sock stash there's Koigu, Lorna's Laces, Socks that Rock, Regia silk, lots of Trekking, some luscious Frog Tree (pure alpaca, it's so freakin soft!), some Knit Picks stuff, as well as some stuff I bought and lost the labels for.
Remember though that this month is not just about the socks...It's about the blankie's too.
However I have not been able to get a massive amount done 'cuz I have been distracted.


I'm trying to make all the individual squares first. They measure 4x4 inches each so I think I'm going to make it 10 squares (diamonds, whatever) wide. It takes me 40 minutes to make a square, that's why I'm taking so long to do this. I think I'm going to have to buckle down and sit with it for a few hours someday soon.

I just realized when this sucker is all done Im going to have well over 120 squares in it....120 X 40 = 4800 minutes which is 80 hours. YIKES! Thank God I love knitting and I love this project!

This is what is distracting me at the moment... It's a really cute wrap top that I am making as a sample for a LYS... I always get suckered into doing these...Read: I love making and taking pride of "my" stuff being displayed in a store..And I love the store credit I get, that I jump at the chance to make samples at any opportunity. LOL.

I've got more to post about..But I will save it for a later time. Im off now to figure out how to do a magic cast on and learn the magic loop method. Maybe it will make my socks whip out like....... Magic!

No comments: