Monday, May 07, 2007

Back to Reality (in more ways then one)

I have to be honest and say I really want to have a big rant session right now, but I am going to try and refrain. I have been avoiding blogging the last few days because I wanted to wait until my temper had calmed down a bit.
But I am not going to rant, I am not going to flame anyone, because I am better then that. There is someone that is extremely concerned that I am going to talk bad about them on the blog, but I think all of you that know me either in real life or from this blog know that I am not that kind of person..no matter what this jackass thinks of me. So there! (And no, I am not talking about B..he's still my hero.)
I don't mean to be vague, and I know you are probably all wondering, "what the hell is she talking about?" I am sorry I can't go into further detail...
But if that person just so happens to read this post (and that person very well might because they are so damn paranoid), you can go away now, I am not going to give you the satisfaction, you are not worth my time or my energy..and my mama taught me better!

And now, back to our regular scheduled programming!!!

Sock Madness Round 6 started last Friday, and this time the pattern was just mind blowing beautiful! And it was also the first time I looked at a pattern and said, "holy hell!" =)
To say the least, I was intimidated..but the competition had to go on...and so I casted on and got started.
We knew before this round started that it was going to be fair isle..but what we did not know was that the designer was inspired by a batik cloth her mother bought on a trip to Indonesia.

I had bought some Lorna's in chocolate and tickled pink..so my batik socks are quite different from the original design..but still cool looking none the less.



Here is the top of the sock (from my view)

And the bottom..oh yes, it is patterned on the heel as well!
It is very pretty but not so comfortable to wear. Partially because of the stranding, and partially because the heel flap/gusset is done in single yarn thickness and so feels looser and lighter then the heel and leg. Maybe if I had double stranded the brown it would feel better?

What, you see only one sock? Well, yes you are correct.

At the time this round started, there was some major drama going on in my personal life (see above), and so I was not as focused on the competition as I should have been.

Between the distractions and the speediness of my competitor, I am amazed that I was able to get even one sock done before she had posted her finished pair! I do think though, that if I had been able to hunker down and focus on the pattern..I could have possilby beat her.

Oh well, such is life..and I got to say I was ready for the competition to be over with..it was consuming my life!

The final pattern is going to be released this Friday. I hope to have the second sock done by then..but if not, oh well, no biggie. I am excited about the final pattern, the sneak peaks look amazing! And the final match up is awesome, I can't wait to see who wins. I have a good idea who it will be, anyone want to place a bet? =)

In other knitting news, I finally got around to getting some pictures of the Argosy scarf I completed last week.

It only took me 4 months to complete..

The yarn is Noro Silk Garden Lite # 2014. And believe it or not, it really only took two balls!


I was worried it wouldn't be long enough, but it is perfect! Well, as much as a scarf finished for the summer can be perfect.. I won't really be able to appreciate this until Autumn comes around.

A word of caution about this pattern...don't work on it when you are tired. It is easy enough, but between the "bind off" stitches on row 1 and the cast on stitches on row 5..it can get a little hairy.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had this almost finished and then realized a huge mistake that had to be ripped out. The mistake was that I had 4 squares going across, instead of 5..and the mistake had been made 6 pattern repeats back. It hurt to do, but I couldn't ignore it.

After I finished it and laid it out to block, I realized that I had made another mistake. In the middle of the scarf I have a few repeats that have 6 squares going across..but it is not noticable and by that time I did not care..

So again, if you decide to make this scarf, let my mistakes be a lesson to you!

Hope you are all doing well and having a fantastic week!

10 comments:

Sockergirl said...

WOw! cool sock and scarf. Hope life gets better!

Shrinkie said...

sorry you're having dramas chickie, you put up a great fight considering! And I love your scarf - just beautiful!!

SeattleAmy said...

I must say, those are some cool looking socks...but I can see why they wouldn't be practical andnot so comfy!

Sorry to hear about the drama. Did we have a full moon for all week? Seems that way to me!

I hope that things get better sooner rather than later and you can invest your energies in more enjoyable arenas!

Amy

Anonymous said...

I can understand drama! I've been having tons of it lately as well. But... :-) The scarf looks beautiful!!
SP10

Jean said...

The scarf is gorgeous. I think your mad batik sock came out great and you hung in there like a champ! I hope the drama passes soon.

Anonymous said...

I like that you used a verigated yarn for the background of the sock.
I've tried the argosy scarf before, but I got tired of it. I think the yarn I was using was too boring. i'm sure I'll try it again when it gets colder outside. Good job too!

Cindy/Snid said...

Both of your projects look really nice. I like that you didn't just use a varigated and white on the sock pattern. Good color choice!

SheepsPyjamas said...

Your batik sock came out wonderful, and you're right, I love how the "non-traditional" coloration looks! Hope things have settled a bit for you by now -- sounds like you've had more than your share of stress, time for some more than your share of virtual chocolate or hugs or whatever you prefer! I found I enjoyed knitting without the race timer ticking after Sock Madness ended for me; I hope it's working the same for you...

Jan said...

Congratulations on doing so well in the Sockmadness competition! You have made all of the novices proud. I have your prizes. Could you email me so we can work out the details?
jlollilaATgmailDOTcom

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. It was nice seeing you at Purls yesterday.